Saturday 6 January 2007

Fine China and an FOB

I went on a random trip to Wembley today with the parents. They needed to pick some stuff up for the new place and someone suggested Ikea to them. We ended up getting lost in Wembley for an hour trying to find the place, because my godbrother decided to use his own map (we left the google directions at home >.<). I think we drove past the new Wembley arena about 4 times today. (The place is HUGE and looks absolutely amazing from the front! Can't wait until they finally finish it.) When we finally got to Ikea, everyone was shocked at the size of it. It was my first time seeing one, I mean I've heard stories (some involving young children and grown men, I won't go into any further details), but this was rediculous, there can't be that amount of furnishings in the world.

The carpark was massive as well, although it took us ages to find a place to park. We put it down to the fact that people were using it for the Tesco's nearby (I think we drove past that 3 times), surely not this many people were interested in home furnishings and such-like.

With the grace of a beached whale, I waltzed in, only to be greeted by a food court (Salvation after a 2 hour drive). Of course, the prospect of cheap and tasty hotdogs did not deter me from the art of picking out fine dinnerware (well, 1 of them didn't, now the other 5...). Spent quite a while browsing through the hoards of stuff they had, it seemed like they had everything you've ever wanted in your home (including the kitchen sink!!!). It's like some magical forest, where kitchen tables roamed free and pillows would stalk fishslices through a valley of Ming vases, while picture frame's would caw perched on their makeshift extension wire trees and baby wax fruit would swing from lighting fixture to lighting fixture all to get into the harmony of the sorted sock draw that is Ikea (meh, I have a big imagination). In the end, we spent about £300 on a couple of nice plates, bowls and a wok along with some other miscilaneous items.


After that, we went to London China Town and I got to act like a proper FOB (albeit the fact that my Chinese was crap). Had some munch then took a look around. It's exciting to go browse the shops and things just to see how it differs from my western norm. Havn't been here in the past 2 years, it's weird to see how everythings changed. It was sad to see a couple of the shops I frequent gone, but they've been replaced by some cool new ones.

If you ever get the chance to go, I recommend going to China China for food (Salt & Pepper Pork Chop with Rice, Mmmm...) and then trying a Pearl Milk tea at the tea shop by the pagoda meeting point :) It's also close to the London Trocadero, so you can have fun in "funland" (the arcade with the really big esacallators).

I'm being dragged off to WoW (god that game is addictive). Till the next post, take care.


No comments: